Thursday, February 4, 2010

Why Cortland State?

I always get questions as to why I chose to attend SUNY Cortland for school/baseball. After all, it is a pretty obvious question, why would a person from Massachusetts come all the way up hear for school? For anyone that played high school sports and was an aspiring college athlete they have all experienced the long and frustrating recruiting process that weighs a heavy burden on your life. The process is not so much frustrating because it is annoying, its frustrating because of all the options that are laid out in front of you and whether or not the right decision is being made. People from New York take part every summer in the Empire State Games. Well, in Massachusetts athletes compete in the Bay State Games. The summer going into my senior year in high school I played for the Coastal region of the state and the week-long tournament lead me to Cortland. I had received a recruiting letter from St.Johns University and was invited to a showcase at their school in Queens. In October, of my senior year, I attended the school's invitational and participated in a days worth of drills and scrimmage. The day went very well, so well that I was asked to speak to their pitching coach, Scott Brown, in private. I was ecstatic and thrilled to finally get to speak to one of these superior coaches. As I was speaking to Coach Brown he quickly complimented me but had to break the news that I wasn't throwing nearly fast enough for a Big East program in Division 1. The coach picked my brain a little bit about my career in baseball so far and what I would like to major in when I go off to college. At the time, it was physical education so he quickly recommended Cortland State, his Alma mader, because it is the top physical education school in the country and are exceptional at baseball. Coach Brown contacted the head coach at Cortland, Joe Brown, and referenced my name and to look into recruiting me. As you can tell, Coach Joe Brown pursued me and as soon as I left Cortland after my recruiting visit the decision was obvious that I would commit to his baseball program.

No comments:

Post a Comment